WHAT IS BRANDING?
- The Marketing Practice of Creating a Name, Symbol or Design that identifies and differentiates a Product or Service from others.
- Your Brand is your promise to your customer. It tells them what they can expect from your products and services, and it differentiates your offerings from that of your competitors.
- Your Brand is derived from who you are, who you want to be and who people perceive you to be.
WHY DO SMALL FIRMS NEED A BRAND?
Your Company Name, Logo, the way you answer the phone, Pricing, Product benefits, what your customers say when they’re asked about you all build to create an impression of your company and what it’s like to do business with you; and that is your Brand.
Branding is all about the impression you make, irrespective of whether you are a Small, Medium or Large Firm.
If you want to succeed, that impression should do two jobs;
(i) It should convey what is special about your business
(ii) It should show you in a positive light.
TEN WAYS TO BUILD A BRAND FOR YOUR SMALL BUSINESS.
- (1) Start by defining your Brand.
- (2) When building your brand, think of it as a Person.
- (3) Consider what is driving your Business.
- (4) Aim to build long-term relationships with your customers.
- (5) Speak to your customers with a consistent tone of voice.
- (6) Your Key messages should work together to build a coherent identity
- (7) Carve your own identity; Don’t try to mimic the look of chains or Big Brands.
- (8) Be Innovative, Bold and Daring; Stand for something you believe in.
- (9) Always consider your branding when communicating with customers.
- (10) The old way of stamping your logo on everything won’t necessarily cut it.